Why we need vitamin D>Our bodies cannot function without an adequate supply of vitamin D: its role in our health is too central. The functions of this nutrient include:
- Maintaining normal blood levels of the minerals calcium and phosphorus.
- The absorption from food of calcium, enabling healthy bone growth.
- Stimulating immune cells to release antibodies and thereby encouraging a healthy, responsive immune system.
- Metabolising glucose to fuel our bodies.
- Controlling the growth of cells and nerves.
- Maintaining healthy muscles and joints.
- High blood pressure – also known as hypertension.
- Muscle pain or tremors.
- Tooth pain and gum inflammation.